Etruscan Volterra, City of Alabaster

Tauck has been meticulously arranging the details of these five days for the past four years. Although there is very little physical activity (compared to our travel norm), almost every minute of each day is planned out - so when my head hits the pillow I am out cold until it is time to leave again. (Or maybe it's all the wine causing that.)

Each day the 6 groups divide and conquer. Today, the only rainy day in the forecast, our group is assigned to Volterra. I recognized the name from Twilight, the vampire series, but I know we are safe because it's daylight and they won't kill so close to home. It is actually a super small walled hill town known for its production of alabaster, a very soft stone that can be carved till it is translucent. We spend 2 1/2 hours with a guide hearing about the town's legends, views, mysteries, and treasures. After a surprise private opera performance in the town's theatre, we are released for less than an hour to eat and wander the stores that have closed for lunch.

Volterra really is a beautiful town. 

Our guide tells us we are lucky it is not crowded - but I figure the rain is playing a part in that.

Volterra's duomo, from 1120, is one of the town's treasures. Our timing is fortunate - it has been closed for restoration for the past two years and only re-opened three weeks ago, ahead of schedule. 

"It looks easy but it is not," our guide says, describing the process of carving alabaster

Lunch in the town square (in between bouts of rain)

Back at the five-star resort, after some wine and olive oil tastings, we could pick from one of three restaurants for dinner. We chose a fancy dinner at the castle. I'm pretty sure it is the most exquisite meal I have ever had. Greg thoroughly enjoyed his piglet cheeks - who knew they were such a delicacy! I didn't want to put my fork down. But when my mom or I did, Greg helped us finish. "I got to put it back in front of you so it doesn't look like I am a pig," said Greg, pushing the empty plate back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscany Truffle Hunting and a Noble’s Estate

San Gimignano and Farewell Dinner